Monomoy Football Falls Short In Thriller In Falmouth

by Brad Joyal

ad Joyal

FALMOUTH – Even though the result wasn’t what the Monomoy football team had hoped for, Friday’s 33-26 loss to Falmouth showed Sharks head coach Rob Sliney that his players can hang tough when they are met with adversity.

“We ran with a team that’s two divisions higher than us,” Sliney said. “They are [Division] 5 and we are 7. In the regular season, we have no business playing this team, but I’m happy that we got matched up with them because that showed our guys what we’re capable of. It goes to show that we can hang with those bigger dogs.”

There was plenty to like about what Monomoy (3-7) accomplished against Falmouth (2-8), most notably the Sharks’ passing game.

Junior quarterback Chase Yarletts threw three touchdown passes and added a 15-yard touchdown run. Yarletts gave the Sharks a 26-25 lead with 2:46 remaining when he connected with Reign Stephens for an 88-yard touchdown pass before finding Quinn Connors through the air for a 2-point conversion.

Yarletts connected with Stephens for a 70-yard touchdown pass earlier in the game, and he opened the scoring with a 38-yard touchdown pass to Connors.

“They have a great connection,” Sliney said of Yarletts, Stephens and Connors. “Reign and Chase are best buds off the field, and Quinn is a stud. He’s a nice, tall receiver that catches everything.”

Although Monomoy took control late, Falmouth’s Day Tre’Chaun returned a kickoff with 2:32 remaining to give the Clippers a 33-26 advantage after a 2-point pass to Jeremy Blake.

The game included a scary delay late in the second quarter, when Falmouth sophomore Aiden McAuliffe left the game in an ambulance after he collided with a Clippers teammate in pass coverage. McAuliffe was transported to Boston to be treated. After the game, Falmouth coach Tim Medeiros told both teams that McAuliffe appeared to be doing well.

“I never want anyone to get hurt, but it is something that happens in football,” Sliney said. “There were a lot of emotions that came through during that. I was very happy with the way our guys dealt with it.”